My Blog List

Monday, November 25, 2013

Mommytition

Competition spelled.....MOMMYtition...... as mommy's many times it seems everyone around us can do it better, bigger and faster. I don't know about you but I cannot keep up. I have a confession, an un-Christ like confession.
The past month I have had an obsession with kids clothing. Not because I love clothing, I am the type of person who could wear a potato sack and be fine with that. I have never had to buy top of the line name brand clothing for my children or myself. EVER. Until someone made a comment about me, and then someone made a comment to my daughter about her. I am not going to share on here what was said about me, but I will say it cut deep. As for my daughter, a little girl made fun of her for not having cute buckles on her black boots at school and really hurt her feelings.
My kids do not wear ratty clothing, their stuff fits well and is durable. I shop cheaply and usually second hand because I don't care if things get stained up at daycare or school. I do NOT want to be the mom who freaks out on my day care provider because Jax gets a stain, or on my daughter for ripping a hole in her jeans. (It happens.) But my confession is I HAVE BECOME THAT MOM. I spent several hours this weekend working a stain out of my daughters jeans, a tiny pink stain. HOURS. I have shopped, still second hand, for clothing for the kiddos, but have refused to purchase anything that wasn't Gap, Gymboree, Old Navy, Justice or The Childrens Place. What have I become? I have joined ranks with moms who live in competition. I, for some reason started caring what other people think of what clothing articles are on our bodies. What does it really matter if my children are wearing Wal-mart clothes? What does it matter if my fingers are not manicured, or my hair isn't colored? What does it matter if I don't carry a Coach purse?
I am reminded of what the Word says "do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where MOTHS and rust destroy, where thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will also be." Matthew 6:19 now the Word does say in Proverbs 31 "she is clothed in fine linen and Purple" to which I believe this is saying to look nice and pleasing unto my husband. This doesn't mean I have to be all dolled up or in name brands.
This post doesn't have some grand point to it, or mind altering message. This is just my current personal struggle. It doesn't matter what people think of the brands I am wearing, or the fact that stains don't upset me. I am to foremost worry about my garment of Holiness before the Lord. And if I am running around worried about the brand I am wearing while many of His other children run around without shoes to wear then I am doing a great dis-service unto my Lord. All this competition between moms needs to end. It needs to start ending in the church houses, I know many many moms who will NOT go to church because of competition. It sickens my heart that for a little while I joined the ranks of the competitors.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am so sorry that people can be so thoughtless. Clothes are not a big deal to me either. I do try to dress my son so he looks nice, but I too shop second hand as much as possible.
    I hope you can find a balance that works for your family.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you made this post! I have found myself doing the same thing and you are right...so not Christ like. It is awful what we do when we should just love and care for our babies without worrying about keeping up with the Joneses. Thanks for making this honest post!

    ReplyDelete